Key: (M)onday (T)uesday (W)ednesday Thu(R)sday (F)riday (S)aturday S(U)nday
Also note: order of log is reverse chronological order, newest first.
Note: The above snippet is stolen from my advisor’s 2nd year PhD progress log 🤣
- Systematically studied LLM for the first time.
- Outcome: a notion page summarizing it. Internal to WING. Upon request.
- Finally have had my “discourse day”.
- Proposal for my parallel project
- Dataset section for ELCo . Simultaneously got following done:
- Forward / backward thinking. Forward: How will people text in 5 years later? Backward: What is the reason for our COLING rejection. How can I revise? What lessons can Ziqing learn from that?
- Corpus study [ ]
- Finished my teaching duties this semester.
- Gave final tutorials to three TGs.
- Busy Monday helping my mentored teams revising their final reports. Some are in a pretty good shape.
- Bugged (literally 🐛) by bugs in Botanic Garden last week. Went to UHC twice.
Forgot to record.
Weekly objective (O):
- O1: Get ELCo paper draft ready to submit (to arXiv / any suitable conference). Present to Min next Monday.
- O2: Think about my ACL-23 rejection and improvements/generalization (maybe set aside one day only doing this).
- O3: A concrete plan for my next work. Propose it to Min next Monday.
- O4: CS4248 TA responsibilities:
- A2 grades release (myself as the primary grader).
- A1 rebuttal reflected in Canvas.
- Teach tutorials and mentor project teams.
- Design exam questions.
- O1:  /100
- O2:  /100
- O3:  /100
- O4:  /100
- Went to Liangming’s Lunch organized by Yajing.
- Went to Botanic Garden to enjoy Gin and Tonic made by Zejun (takeaway package!).
03-22 ~ 03-25 W to F: Forgot to record on a daily basis …
- Still think about Min’s comments.
- Try out Midjourney (OK … I spent too much time on it. Need have a hard constraint of the time!)
- Met Min, review my ACL-23 review.
- Think about Min’s comments.
- Talk to Jinlan.
- TG05, 06, 07, 08, 09. (a very tough 5 hour session, hopefully I can get some help from Lin).
- George’s seminar.
- ELCo revision’s sprint w/ Ziyun.
03-06 ~ 03-10 (Week 8):
- NSSDM post-production.
02-27 ~ 0303 (Week 7):
- NSSDM organization.
- Assignment 1 grading.
- Release ELCo to project teams. It turned out that 7 teams are interested. Ziyun and I have created something interesting to people.
- Group meeting.
- Reflect on the meeting w/ Min. Stratify my research into 3 layers.
- ⭐️ Zoom w/ Neo about GPTs and ICL. Potential collaboration w/ OpenAI in the future.
- Video w/ Yahui, for queries about my undergrad institute and discuss her current study of Mooc.
- Kick off my project mentoring meeting with all 5 teams I am working with (A very tough 4-hour session. I didn’t sleep well …). I like some of the teams’ initiatives. Some of them already have their ideas. Some of them come up with their own ideas after a few “prompts” from me. Some of them need more help.
- ⭐️ Met Min.
- Dinner w/ Qizhe.
- Prepare for tomorrow’s meeting w/ Min.
- Emailing to NLP project teams I mentored. Asked Ziyun’s permission to share her FYP defense slides as a guide for students studying her dataset.
- ⭐️ Met Q.
- Read Q’s papers.
- Present at George’s seminar about ChatGPT.
- Audiences (most are entrepreneurs) liked my presentation a lot, especially the theory of LMs and how I explained why ChatGPT is stronger than previous LMs.
- Their burning question: How to specialize ChatGPT for their own business?
- My answers: it really depends on how OpenAI plans to opensource ChatGPT. (1) Decoding strategies (if NOT opensourced); (2) Domain-specific fine-tuning (if opensourced).
- I highlighted the ethical concern and responsible use of ChatGPT.
- Reply to students’ email/TG messages for my TA class.
- Prepare for a meeting w/ J. Met J and discuss about my research.
- Prepare for my presentation tomorrow.
- J’s visit. Seminar, lunch and PhD meetings.
- Meetup w/ Qian and Longxu in Botanic Gardens. Recieved a lot of useful feedback!
- Present and pilot my annotation task in group.
- Prepare for my annotation task.
- It is the first time Min sits in my tutorial. I felt a bit nervous. But it completed OK.
- Min gave me feedback for my teaching skill (I need to save them if I want to be Prof later …)
- Preparation for my annotation task in group meeting.
- Design done. (Slides skeleton, annotation workflow).
- Not clear about the definition of
simulatability. It is to simulate the ground truth answer, or to simulate model’s prediction (which is not necessarily true)?
- Continue reading thesis.
- TA meeting and TG02.
- Read papers by Dan Iter and Karthik Narasimhan.
- Meet Min w/ Longxu, Tongyao, and HC.
- I received a ton of feedback (an intense discussion! don’t know how Min managed that everyday).
- Summarized the meeting in QA style. Check
Meeting 6 Feb 2023 in my personal notion.
Prepare for tomorrow’s meeting w/ Min:
- Read my 1-man slack’s message about all ideas / problems I recorded for discourse.
- Chat w/ HC.
- Slides done. Come up one core question to ask Min tomorrow with evidence supporting that.
- Read papers esp by Qian.
- Longxu and Qian invite me to collaborate on my research!
- Thinking about a fine-grained experiment section for ELCo. 50% done. I find Qing’s paper @ NAACL’22 a very good example from meta-level.
- Study Chuyuan’s paper, the idea of attention is interesting.
- Reply to students’ email.
- TA meeting (I find the traffic is much faster in early morning).
- Give T01-T04.
- Help Tutu’s submission a bit.
- Prepare for the tutorial.
- Read a few *SEM papers.
Showed my manuscript to Liangming. Received many insightful comments!
- On the position of this manuscript (it’s still a bit unlcear, but there’s little I can do before ACL deadline).
- The idea is cool and valid.
- On my long-term tasks. Think about involving more challenging reasoning, creating a new task with more challenging examples. Otherwise it’s less space for our “ordinary NLPer” to do in the era of GPT3/ChatGPT.
Think about Liangming’s feedback. Read the EMNLP ‘22 paper, I find it’s an easy idea with straightforward execution.
Try to revise some minor points …
- Paper revision.
- TA meetings.
- Paper revision.
- Try to change the discourse structure of the paper.
- Abs + Intro 1st interation of the revision.
- Family day. Went to my Grandma’s house. Met my uncle antie and my cousin with my parents.
- I think my driving skill has upgraded to a new level. I drove all the way smoothly.
- Group meeting. Chenglei gave a very nice presentation. I learned a lot from it.
- Prepare for meeting w/ Nancy and Wenqiang.
- Meet Nancy. Receive encouraging feedbacks.
- TA meeting for CS4248.
- Read Yoav’s note on LLM: https://gist.github.com/yoavg/59d174608e92e845c8994ac2e234c8a9
- Prepare for the meeting w/ Min.
- Meet Min.
Major takeaway from the meeting:
- Min told me it’s better to be explicit (even though reviewers might disagree), than to be ambiguous and confuse the reviewer.
- I asked Min so how big a dataset shoud be? Min told me the size can be justfied by the usefulness (e.g. improvement on another task).