I’m Yisong, a junior researcher. Most of my professional time is spent on (1) finding a problem; (2) solving a problem. However, what if we consider research as essentially a research problem? I have distilled following research questions for it:
- How to discover impactful research ideas?
- How to formulate a phenomenon into a researchable task?
- What experiment should we do in order to support our claim?
- How to do meaninful discussions to inspire further study?
I define this topic as “Meta Research”.
In this note, I will record my jounrey towards “Meta Research”.
It is constituted of my conversations with my mentors/friends (therefore some posts are in Chinese), my independent thoughts, etc.
I hope, at the end of the day, this note will demonstrate each small step towards my success.
As usual, I have a pointer as the start: Dr. Shannon’s talk on Creative Thinking.:
- The first one is obvious - training and experience.
- The second thing is a certain amount of intelligence or talent.
- For want of a better word, we will call it motivation.
- The first one that I might speak of is the idea of simplification.
- A very similar device is seeking similar known problems.
- Another approach for a given problem is to try to restate it in just as many different forms as you can.
- Another mental gimmick for aid in research work, I think, is the idea of generalization.
- Next one I might mention is the idea of structural analysis of a problem.
- Now one other thing I would like to bring out which I run across quite frequently in mathematical work is the idea of inversion of the problem.
[Jan 2020] [With Wenqiang] 作为一个researcher, 最重要的是我们的思想。“因思想生光华”
[Jan 2020] [With Wenqiang] I hope you can oppose me more on research questions.
[May 2020] [Elon Musk] Sometimes we just need to distance ourselves to see things clearer.
------ Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish ------