Yisong Miao’s Personal Website
Welcome! I hail from Xi’an, China, and did my undergraduate study in Beijing, China.
I’m now a second-year master student at SoC (School of Computing), NUS (National University of Singapore).
I’m affiliated to WING (Web Information Retrieval and Natural Language Processing Group).
I’m fortunate to be advised by Prof Min-Yen Kan and Dr. Wenqiang Lei.
My office is on level 5 of AS6 building.
My long-term goal is to push the research boundary of interaction between AI and humanity (including history, literature, music and other forms of arts), and answer a basic question: how we human perceive beauty. To achieve this long-term goal, I not only conduct novel research as introduced in the next section, but also initiate UCMW project purely out of my personal interest.
My CV is here: PDF
I also have a note for “Meta Research”, recording the most fundamental methods (found by me / taught by my mentors) towards a good researcher: Link to meta research. I hope, at the end of the day, it would be the most valuable treasure.
Learning from my graduate study advisor Prof Min (Link to his log), I also keep a progress log for better time management.
I have maintained a few reading list within my research interests: Link to reading lists
Some External Links: [Google Scholar] [LinkedIn] [GitHub] [Twitter] [Skype]
[Email] I use GMAIL, the username is miaoyisong
A person’s character isn’t determined by how he or she enjoys victory but rather how he or she endures defeat. – House of Cards.
Bachelor thesis – Webpage Classification
- Webpage classification using URLs only.
Master thesis – Conversational AI
- Conversational Recommendation.
Project webpage: here
Computational Discourse and Lexical Semantics – Ongoing project
- Contextual Lexical Relation.
- Implicit Discourse Relation Recognition.
If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough. – Elon Musk, Tesla Motors
- [Oct. 11th 2019] We have our first paper accepted by WSDM 2020 on Conversational Recommendation! Acceptance rate is 15%. This is my first research experience, I am closely mentored by Dr. Lei, Dr. He, Dr. Kan and Dr. Chua.
- [May 16th 2020] New! I have one more paper co-authored with Dr. Lei, Dr. He, and Gangyi accepted to KDD 2020. This work is in line with our WSDM 2020 work on conversational recommendation. Thank you for all your support!
 Wenqiang Lei, Xiangnan He, Yisong Miao, Qingyun Wu, Richang Hong, Min-Yen Kan, Tat Seng Chua (2020). Estimation-Action-Reflection: Towards Deep Interaction Between Conversational and Recommender Systems. In Proceedings of the Thirteenth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM ‘20). [PDF] [Slides] [Poster] [Codes and Project Websites @ Github.io]
 Wenqiang Lei, Gangyi Zhang, Xiangnan He, Yisong Miao, Xiang Wang, Liang Chen and Tat-Seng Chua (2020). Interactive Path Reasoning on Graph for Conversational Recommendation. (KDD ‘20). Resources To Come.
I never let school interfere with my education. – Mark Twain
2014-2018, Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science.
Founding Class of undergrad program of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
2018-2020, Master of Computing, National University of Singapore.
URL Links to my friends who’re not my research collaborators
When Voldemort is after you, you’d better be with your friends. – What Yisong learns from Harry Potter
My friends, the following order is based on the time I found your URL, i.e. in a "first-come-first-record" fashion. Please tell me if you’d like to be presented and introduced here! Emprically it is a great way to increase your PageRank on Google. (e.g., this search result) However, it is still an open question that whether it is ME increase YOUR PageRank, or the inverse way :p.
------ Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish ------
- Ms. Xin Wang is not only my girlfriend, but also my best friend. She is now an investment associate with Prosperity Investment based in Beijing. She has broad investment interest in the AI industry and AI-empowered traditional industry. She earned dual degree in Bachelor of Law and English Literature from UIBE in 2017. We are in love since August 2015. My relationship with her is the most precious human relationship except the one with my parents. The goal of our relationship is to create a loving family, and support each other to be stronger and closer to our individual goals. Please get in touch with Xin if you would like to be funded by her!
- Zek Chang is the founder of Guduo Inc., a technical start-up company headquartered in Beijing. Guduo solves general software engineering tasks as an intelligent outsourcing problem. Zek and me are both emotional men, we have similar taste in tech, music and arts. Our nights celebrated at the MEI bar have become one of my most impressive memories in Beijing, thanks for your drinks and accompanying. Please get in touch with Zek if you have a big idea to be realized with tremendous quality and speed!
- Junda Zhang is the same batch of master student at SoC with me. We collaborated in CS5228 Kaggle Competiton and won the first-runner-up! Code. Junda has vast interest in machine learning and deep learning systems.
- Chaoren Li is a nice gentleman. He generously offered me his bedroom during my visit to the Bay Area in Spring 2020. He is now a software engineer leader at Google, solving major techinical problem with global impact!
- Dr. Zhen Wang, aka, ‘zzzzzz’ is a gentleman I know in the Running Group. We later found we have many interests in common, including but not limited to WeChat stickers (Moer 萌二 and Molo 萌六). He is one of the most active replier to my sparkling thought thrown in the Running Group. He is currently an algorithm expert at Alibaba, Hangzhou. He is the author of TransH (a building block of KG research). Check out his sites for many interesting posts on ML and DM!